Crossing the Line by Barbara Elsborg

Genre – Suspense, Romance
Type – Stand-Alone
Cliffhanger - No
Rating – 4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy generously provided Author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

This is a dark romantic suspense with scenes of graphic violence.

Is there a line she won’t cross?

Katya’s sister is brutally murdered while working undercover for the Russian Security Service and no one seems to care. After her parents and grandparents die in a suspicious car accident and the authorities still won’t take any action, Katya travels to America, following the man she believes is responsible, determined to find her own justice.

She becomes caught in a dangerous and demanding game balancing the demands of two men with her obsession for the truth. Ethan, an FBI agent, is on the side of right. Aleksei, an enigma, is as bad as they come, yet it’s the man with darkness inside him who offers a chance of discovering what happened to her family. If she wants those responsible to pay for the murders, how far is she prepared to go?

My Thoughts - Story
I have to be honest and let you know that I flip flopped with reading this book.  On one hand, I have LOVED Ms. Elsborg’s prior books but on the other hand, I’m not a big fan of suspense/romance books.  I even asked one of my girls to read and review it but then something kept pulling me back to this book.  So, I thought, WTF, let me give it a try and HOLY SHIT….thank God I did!

I was instantly drawn into this and lost myself while reading.  I could feel the emotions Katya was and I have to tell you FUCKIN’ A….there was SO MUCH going on at once.

Please don’t be discouraged if you feel lost at first – there are tons of names being thrown around – so much happening that you do start to feel like giving up…but don’t…keep going and it will all make sense.  Your head will be spinning with the twists and turns and some parts may have you cringing and wondering how far Katya will go to learn the truth.

This book has it all – and I’m not kidding…we have suspense…a triangle (but not like you think)…rape…murder…a strong and sassy heroine…throbbing vaj mahal sex and the ENDING???  Not at all what I thought ---- but trust me – I closed this book with a big smile on my face!

Re-Cap
Katya is a renowned violinist in Moscow and suddenly her world is turned upside down after the murder of her sister and the death of her family.  She vows to learn the truth and heads off to America to find the man responsible.

On the plane ride, she has a one-night stand with a handsome stranger who will come back to haunt her and in America she is suddenly thrown into a life of terror, murder and deception.  Katya must struggle through learning what life is like being in the middle of the Russian mafiya. Caught up in her life is:  Ethan, a FBI agent who admires her from afar, Aleksei, a member caught up in the middle of the mafiya who lusts after Katya, the King of the underground who despises her and a psychotic killer/hitman who wants Katya as a trophy.

I’m getting tongue tied trying to summarize this story for you without giving too much away and I find my head is spinning again….so I’ll leave you with…you HAVE to pick up this book and get lost in the adventure of Katya!

You will be wondering the whole time who the hell she ends up with in the end….that is…if she survives!

Reason for Reading – Author request
Story – 4.5 out of 5 Stars
Steam – 4 out of 5 Stars
Angst – 5 out of 5 Stars
Writing – 5 out of 5 Stars
Content Flow – 4 out of 5 Stars

Told In – Multiple POV

Heroine/Personality – Katya – strong, sassy, determined – very easy to connect with but frustrating at times.
Hero/Personality – Aleksei – swoon worthy easy to fall in love with (at times)
HEA (Spoiler) - <spoiler>Yes</spoiler>
Would Read More from Author? DEFINITELY
Recommend To – anyone who loves suspense with a tad of darkness