Amber Alert by Sara Schoen

Amber Alert (Amber Alert Series) (Volume 1) - Sara Schoen

Book – Amber Alert (Amber Alert #1)

Author – Sara Schoen

Publication Date – December 2, 2014
Genre –Thriller
Type – Companion Series
Cliffhanger – No
Rating – 3.5 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis

Anna was taken...

Taken from her home to live out a sick game that a guy has been playing for the last ten years.

With no certainty that anyone is looking for her, and seemingly hours away from home, she's forced to play housewife with a man that has had twelve other 'wives'.

Each of them now dead...

With 12 rules and the obvious exits blocked, from the previous girls attempts to flee. Is Anna's only way out to play along and become a 'loving wife'? Or will she die during the chase?

Would anyone even know what happened to her?

Or would she be labeled as a runaway?

And where is she in the first place?

Mature Content Warning. Recommended for ages 17+ due to violence and sensitive subject matter.

My Thoughts - Story
I honestly enjoyed this story but did find a few inconsistencies with the book.  And there were a few things that I had a hard time grasping within the story line.

I think the major thing I had a hard time wrapping my mind around was how Anna was taken in front of people without anything happening.  I know in today’s society that seems feasible but she was in a small town not on a busy street in downtown NYC.  She was in a playground surrounded by families with their children and her boyfriend was shot in plain sight. Then back at the house while she is a prisoner, it was within the first few days that she already started to feel things for another.

I also think that to get the story across better, the terrible things that were done to Anna should have been explained in more detail.  I understand the author was allowing us to use our own imaginations and I appreciate that but it may have made the book a bit more entertaining.

Now all of that put aside, I was AMAZED and forgot all about my first feelings when I found out that Ms. Schoen is ONLY 19 years old. Totally amazing in my point of view – for her to come up with this story which I think would make a GREAT movie!  It was well thought out and unique in certain aspects.

Re-Cap
Anna is number 13 in her abductor’s sick fantasy and game.  She is a captive held to play out a different game of “House”.  While she lives in a demented house, she finds an ally who makes her time there easier and gives her the desire to find freedom.

Read how our heroine survives the torture and mental degradation in order to find freedom for herself and others.

Reason for Reading – Author Request
Story – 4 out of 5 Stars
Steam –  N/A
Angst – 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Writing – 4 out of 5 Stars
Content Flow – 3.5 out of 5 Stars

Told In – Anna’s POV

Heroine/Personality – Anna – my feelings for her flip flop back and forth on her maturity and stupidity

Hero/Personality – That’s a secret