Raze by Tillie Cole

Cliffhanger – No
Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars

Own a copy.

Synopsis

To take back life, one must first face death...

One man stripped of his freedom, his morals...his life.

Conditioned in captivity to maim, to kill and to slaughter, prisoner 818 becomes an unremorseful, unrivaled and unstoppable fighter in the ring. Violence is all he knows. Death and brutality are the masters of his fate.

After years of incarceration in an underground hell, only one thought occupies his mind: revenge...bloody, slow and violent revenge.

Revenge on the man who lied.

Revenge on the man who wronged him.

Revenge on the man who condemned him and turned him into this: a rage-fueled killing machine. A monster void of humanity; a monster filled with hate.

And no one will stand in the way of getting what he wants.

One woman stripped of her freedom, her morals...her life.

Kisa Volkova is the only daughter of Kirill ‘The Silencer’ Volkov, head of the infamous ‘Triad’ bosses of New York's Russian Bratva. Her life is protected. In reality, it’s a virtual prison. Her father’s savage treatment of his rivals and his lucrative and coveted underground gambling ring—The Dungeon—ensures too many enemies lurk at their door.

She dreams to be set free.

Kisa has known only cruelty and loss in her short life. As manager of her father’s death match enterprise, only grief and pain fill her days. Her mafia boss father, in her world, rules absolute. And her fiancé, Alik Durov, is no better; the Dungeon’s five-time champion, a stone-cold killer, the treasured son of her father’s best friend, and her very own—and much resented—personal guard. Unrivaled in both strength and social standing, Alik controls every facet of Kisa’s life, dominates her every move; keeps her subdued and dead inside...then one night changes everything.

While working for her church—the only reprieve in her constant surveillance—Kisa stumbles across a tattooed, scarred, but stunningly beautiful homeless man on the streets. Something about him stirs feelings deep within her; familiar yet impossibly forbidden desires. He doesn’t talk. Doesn’t communicate with anyone. He’s a man beyond saving, and a man she must quickly forget...for both their sakes.

But when weeks later, out of the blue and to her complete surprise, he’s announced as the replacement fighter in The Dungeon, Kisa knows she’s in a whole lot of trouble. He’s built, ripped and lethally unforgiving to his opponents, leaving fear in his wake and the look of death in his eyes.

Kisa becomes obsessed with him. Yearns for him. Craves his touch. Needs to possess this mysterious man...this man they call Raze.

Dark Contemporary Romance. Contains explicit sexual situations, excessive violence, disturbingly sensitive and taboo subjects, offensive language and mature topics. Recommended for age 18 years and up.

My Thoughts - Story
If you had to ask me one word to describe this book, it would be:

ADDICTIVE

Once I picked it up and got through the first 50 or so pages, I was hooked…(line and sinker).  Yes, there were a few things I found a bit “over the top” but shit…we are reading about fantasies here…not what is going on outside our front door.

There are a few books that can draw me into the story where I can relate to the characters and yearn to be there right along with them. This was one of those special books to me.  I cried for Raze….I sympathized with Kisa and wanted to kill Alik.

This author is very descriptive with her writing and brings you into the story where every little detail is explained to a point where you feel like a movie is playing out in your head.

My final words on this is that I am so happy Bev talked me into reading this!!

Re-Cap
Damn…I hate this part of the review because I am always fearful that I will give too much away and ruin the story for you. So, I’ll try to stay as general as possible…

Kisa is the Russian princess of the NY underground. She heads up the death match and is engaged to Alik (the prince and heir). One day while atoning for her family’s sins with the church, she gets attacked and a mysterious stranger saves her life.  Instantly, Kisa feels a pull with this strange giant and can’t help herself from searching him out.  He only has 1 thing on his mind though, REVENGE. Revenge against the man who put him in a Russian jail that turned him into the monster he now is.  Revenge against Alik.

I’ll leave you there…that consists of the first 50 pages and will get you started to find out what happens between Raze, Alik and Lisa.  How the past may come back to haunt all of those involved.

Reason for Reading – Recommended by Bev
Story – 5 out of 5 Stars
Steam –  4 out of 5 Stars
Angst – 4 out of 5 Stars
Writing – 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Content Flow – 4 out of 5 Stars

Told In – Dual POV

Heroine/Personality – Kisa…I loved her character and felt she was such a strong influence

Hero/Personality – Raze…I found myself loving his character and empathy for the life he missed.

HEA (Spoiler) - [spoiler]Yes[/spoiler]
Would Read More from Author? Yes
Recommend To – Anyone who doesn’t mind a bit of darkness tied in with their romance.