Get Off on the Pain by Victoria Ashley

Get Off On The Pain - Victoria Ashley

Book – Get Off on the Pain (Pain #1)

Author – Victoria Ashley

Publication Date – February 2, 2015
Genre – New Adult/Romance
Type – Companion Series
Cliffhanger – No
Rating – 4.25 to 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis

Sexy, tattooed and inevitably dangerous. Memphis is all that and more…

I live for the pain; it’s what drives me to keep moving. But there comes a time when one has to push the demons aside in order to survive.

I thought I buried them deep. I thought I was ready to finally live. Until… my brother, Alex; he throws me into the fire—right into the place I could never control myself, the one place I never want to be again.

When I put my hands on people, they get hurt. Things happen that bring me back to that night. The one that will forever torment me.

I’m doing fine, keeping to myself in order to ensure no one gets hurt by me. Then along comes Lyric, and all I want to do is touch her, to put my hands in places that I know will only lead to her being crushed by me.

She’s the rush that I crave. The darkest of poison running through my veins, killing me bit by bit; like a drug I can’t get enough of even though I’m almost down to my last breath.

And being around her only hurts more, but what she doesn’t understand is that I welcome the pain; I get off on it, which in the end leaves me with the hardest decision of my life—one that might get us all killed…

My Thoughts - Story
It’s that time of the year again when Victoria comes knocking on my FB Messenger asking for a review and I have to say that I look forward to little “ping” with her name popping up!

Did she disappoint me in 2015? Hell NO!! I was a bit leery about reading this book and reviewing for her since I’ve been on such a kick with psychological thrillers and zombie books.  What a switch and I wasn’t sure I would be able to get my head in the right mindset to rate this book correctly.

I think what attracts me to Victoria’s books is not just the steam factor when it comes to her sex scenes and the nonexistent filter she uses when writing about what happens in the bedroom or weight room or kitchen or shit…just about any place 2 people can fit together.

Her main characters on the surface seem so simple but underneath you find a very complex and intriguing psyche – just look past the perfect size 2, perfect tits or the big juicy cock on that tattooed god. Get under that guy (not literally – though I would like to do that) and read between the lines with what makes him tick. Then she gives us a comic relief character that pulls the reader out of the brooding antics of the male character.

With this story, Lyric is pisser, not in the funny sense but this girl has a set of balls on her bigger than Memphis’.  I do have to be honest and say that there were some parts where I did want to smack her and ask if she had any pride with the way she set herself up in Memphis’ life never taking No for an answer.

Now Memphis on the other hand, my heart bled for him. The unfair injustice that man had to endure for only doing the only thing he could. Yeah, he was dark. Yeah, he was angry and OK…there were times I wanted to grab his balls and yell at him for constantly saying he wasn’t worth having a good life.  But the more, I pondered this…the more it made sense – it added to his character and made him more complicated.

Our secondary characters, Bailey and Alex?  I only have to add here that it would be perfect if these two would end up together in another book.

Re-Cap
Memphis just finished up serving six years in jail and he has one goal in mind.  Get his brother and get the fuck out of town.  He wasn’t expecting his next-door neighbor to insert herself in his life. The more he tries to push her away, the more she becomes a permanent attachment.

Memphis must get over his guilt and dig deep inside himself in order to learn and live again. With the help of Lyric, he learns that he does deserve to fight in the ring for love and the forgiveness of his past actions.

Reason for Reading – Author request
Story – 4.5 out of 5 Stars
Steam –  4.5 out of 5 Stars
Angst – 4 out of 5 Stars
Writing – 5 out of 5 Stars
Content Flow – 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Told In – Dual POV

Heroine/Personality – Lyric – strong, independent and sassy (can be annoying at times)

Hero/Personality – Memphis – dark, brooding, unsure, mysterious, cocky
HEA (Spoiler) - [spoiler]Yes[/spoiler]
Would Read More from Author? DEFINITELY
Recommend To – anyone who loves romance with a high steam factor