Thicker Than Blood by Madeline Sheehan & Claire C. Riley

Cliffhanger - No
Rating – 4.25 out of 5 Stars

Own a Copy

Synopsis

A true friendship never dies.

Leisel and Evelyn lost everything. Husbands. Families. Friends. Lives that made sense. All they had left was each other, and a friendship that could withstand anything…

Even an apocalypse.

Until one fateful night, the marginal safety they’d come to rely on comes to a vicious and brutal end. With the help of Alex & Jami, both unlikely allies, Leisel and Evelyn are able to escape their shattered sanctuary only to find themselves face-to-face with a much altered, much crueler life where they have to find the way—and the will—to stay alive in a world they no longer recognize.

Traveling across a broken and infection-ridden country; the road-weary group are pitted against endless violence, improbable circumstances, and the ultimate loss.
Everything comes at a price—especially safety, the cost of which could very well strip them of the one thing they’ve tried so hard to cling to: their humanity.

Yet along with all the trials they’re forced to endure, there’s also hope in the form of love. Having loved Leisel from afar, Alex attempts to put the pieces of her fractured heart back together.

But in such a savage world, is there room for love?

In a place of nightmares-made-reality, where the living should be feared far more than the dead, an unbreakable friendship and a love amongst all odds can mean the difference between life and death.

There are friends…

And then there are Leisel and Evelyn.

My Thoughts - Story
I honestly don’t know where to begin with this review – my feelings are all over the place.  I even gave myself a few days to try and pull them all together to write a decent review, but I don’t think it’s possible.

I decided to kind of give you bullet points of what worked with me and what I am on the fence about.

♦ I had a hard time connecting with the main characters at first – I kept flip flopping between Lei and Eve.  One minute Lei was getting on my last nerve and the next she held my respect and I was rolling my eyes at something Eve was doing.  They just seemed to never be in sync.

Now I ask myself about this because is this something the authors did on purpose with a deeper meaning behind it?  Were they never in tune because they complimented each other? One picked up the slack when the other was weak?  Hmmm….makes you think.

♦ Too much death

OK…yeah I am laughing at myself. Duh, where isn’t there death in a post apocalyptic world with zombies running around (well not running – I mean shuffling).  What I mean is that this book is DEPRESSING!!  I fall in love with a character and next thing you know…he or she is dead.  No…not the bad guys – nah, they never die in this book – only the good ones!

♦ Slow in parts

The beginning was slow…I did find myself skimming in parts then it picked up where I didn’t want to put the book down.  But then it slowed down again for a bit.  It definitely redeemed itself in the end.

♦ Loved Purgatory

I loved the imagination of this little world safe from the zombies and it reminded of another book I just got done reading -Taking on the Dead.  Both books use the zombies in a very peculiar way.

♦ I’m being anal

Something irked me…and that was each time this group trusted people and kept getting burnt in the end.  It was 4 years this group survived….how?  How would they survive if they constantly trusted people and didn’t learn their lesson?

Now don’t get me wrong…I am highly anticipating the next book in this series and can’t wait to get my hands on it.

I am a huge fan of Ms. Sheehan and Ms. Riley.  If you look, I have read almost every book from both of these authors and was totally fangirling it up when I found out they were writing a book together.

I can only just imagine how difficult it is to write a book together, to get your different writing styles to mesh together and flow smoothly.  I give both of these authors so much credit for doing this.  And I just know that by the time they get the next book out, it will be even better than this one.

This is not the end of my squishy, luvy feelings toward these two ladies – I will be first in line for the next book.

Re-Cap
Lei and Eve have been best friends since before the outbreak and outlived their husbands while sticking together through the zombie apocalypse, but something is about to tear them apart and Eve just won’t accept that.

With the help of 2 of the guys from their sanctuary, the group starts out on a journey to find a safe haven.  Live vicariously through these characters and enjoy their turmoil, their anxiety and so many other awakenings as they get closer and closer to the end.

You will hate them…you will love them and you will shake your head at their stupid and impulsive decisions.

Reason for Reading – My own choice

Story Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars

Steam Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars

Angst Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Writing Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars

Content Flow Rating – 3.75 out of 5 Stars

Told In Dual POV (Lei and Eve)

Heroine/Personality – Lei is weak, timid, fragile but does a switcheroo

Heroine/Personality – Eve is strong, impulsive, loyal but also does a switcheroo

HEA (Spoiler) – It’s all how you look at it – yes for some, no for others

Would Read More from Author? DEFINITELY

Recommend To – Readers who are looking for a romance/rebirth type of post apocalyptic book.