Normal by Graeme Cameron

Genre – Psychological Thriller

Type – Stand Alone
Cliffhanger – Kind of…it’s up to you
Rating – 4 to 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy generously provided by Harlequin via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

This is a love story. No, really.

He lives in your community, in a nice house with a well-tended garden. He shops in your grocery store, bumping shoulders with you as you pass him and apologizing with a smile. He drives beside you on the highway, politely waving to let you into the lane ahead of him.

What you don't know is that he has an elaborate cage built into a secret basement under his garage. And the food that he's carefully shopping for is to feed a young woman he's holding there against her will--one in a string of many, unaware of the fate that awaits her.

This is how it's been for a long time. It's normal...and it works. Perfectly.

Then he meets the checkout girl from the 24-hour grocery. And now the plan, the hunts, the room...the others. He doesn't need any of them anymore. He needs only her. One small problem--he still has someone trapped in his garage.

Discovering his humanity couldn't have come at a worse time.

My Thoughts - Story
I first have to have a short rant about how the nameless anti-hero (or hero in my book) gets the short end of the stick. I always seem to fall in love with the underdog and get frustrated when they lose. OK – so I’m done with that (this is the reason for a ½ star being deducted)

I do have bow before this author and explain how clever this story was in which you take a serial killer and start to relate and root for him to win in the end. I found myself actually feeling bad and hating everyone else in the story because of hindering our hero to find his true love.

My heart broke for him… I cried – I cursed – I imagined horrible things happening to the bad guys (cops) – I laughed (yes there are such funny spots) – and most important – I related and lived!

Re-Cap
Our nameless serial killer is a mastermind when it comes to acquiring girls and keeping them captive in his basement. He is a genius when it comes to hiding his kills except – except for when it comes to that little beauty in the grocery store. She captures his heart and no more does his mind want to torture and kill. But what can he do now with a prisoner in his basement and the cops breathing down his neck?

Reason for Reading – Net Galley

Heroine/Personality – N/A

Hero/Personality – Nameless Serial Killer – I want him to be my husband ♥
HEA (Spoiler) – This can’t be spoiled because the ending is left open
Would Read More from Author? Yes
Recommend To – readers who love to feel while reading dark thrillers