When the Chips are Down by Beth Rinyu

When The Chips Are Down (Three Of A Kind Book 1) - Beth Rinyu

Book – When the Chips are Down (Three of a Kind #1)

Author – Beth Rinyu

Publication Date – March 20, 2015
Genre – Humor/Romance

Type – Companion Series
Cliffhanger – No
Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

Melanie Hanson's life didn't go quite the way she had planned. Her cheating ex-husband traded her in for a newer model and she’s in over her head dealing with the drama that comes along with raising her twin teenage daughters.

The last thing she is looking for or needs in her life is a man - or is it?

Ben Wilder is the boy that Melanie loved to hate throughout high school, the boy that all the girls loved and the boy that didn't give Melanie the time of day, unless it was to tease her. When she runs into him once again she realizes...he’s not a boy anymore. Older and wiser, she’s determined not to fall for her secret crush from all those years ago. But sometimes our heart has different plans than our head. Will she finally get her happily ever after with the man she least expected to have it with?

Take a humorous journey with Melanie and her daughters as their lives begin to parallel and they discover that although they may be separated by a generation their struggles are still the same.

*Book 1 of The Three Of A Kind Series

My Thoughts - Story
I first have to compliment Ms. Rinyu of her talent with weaving 3 different POV’s which all center around one main story. The book was fast paced with each story constantly keeping you on your toes and the humor was so true to life that I felt like I was raising my teens all over again!  You will connect with these characters and want to know more by the time you get to the last page. This was such an enjoyable book and I can’t wait until the next book in this series is released.

I loved how Ms. Rinyu took some pretty heavy teenage angst and without fights or violence – progressed the story to better things using responsible, mature ways to handle it along with a bit of humor.

The one word I would use to describe this book is Phenomonal!

Re-Cap
Melanie is a single mom of 2 teenage daughters – recently divorced. She is your average mom who would like to remain single for the rest of her life. In walks Ben – Ben was an old high school crush who would tease her and now he is working on her plumbing.

Sparks fly and they both agree that being friends with benefits is the best thing for them…and to keep their special relationship under wraps (especially from her girls). While this is happening…Carrie (her brainy twin daughter) is getting close to Josh (the football player) who is the son of Ben. OH BOY! And Gia (the rebel twin) is being bullied in school and becomes more introverted and friends with the brainy boy in school.

Ben doesn’t want a relationship…Melanie starts to want one – they keep sneaking around and you can just imagine what happens when the shit hits the fan and everyone is exposed!

Reason for Reading – Author Request
Story – 5 out of 5 Stars
Steam –  5 out of 5 Stars
Angst – 5 out of 5 Stars
Writing – 5 out of 5 Stars
Content Flow – 5 out of 5 Stars

Told In – Triple POV

POV 1 – Melanie – Awesome – true to life mom!

POV 2 – Gia – the rebel twin who does a complete turnaround (frustrating at first)

POV 3 – Carrie – the “good” daughter who starts to break out of her shell

HEA (Spoiler) – [spoiler]Yes[/spoiler]

Recommend To – Readers who love to laugh while reading and can relate to being a mom to teenage girls