Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror #8) - Karina Halle

Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror #8) - Karina Halle

Book – Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror #8)

Author – Karina Halle

Publication Date – December 11, 2013

Type – Part of Series

Genre – Paranormal Romance

Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis

It’s been two months since Perry Palomino and Dex Foray’s relationship reached a new turning point, two months since Perry started a new life in Seattle, and two months since their Experiment in Terror show took on a new partner, ex-Wine Babe Rebecca Sims, and found a new level of success. But whenever there is light in their lives, the madness still has a way of coming back in.

When the team is sent back to the stormy Oregon coast to investigate a haunted school, Perry wants to use the opportunity to reconnect with her family and reintroduce Dex into their lives. Only Perry’s not the only one who’s reaching out – her grandmother Pippa has started appearing to her with disturbing warnings and Perry’s presence at the school has ignited a chilling new wave of supernatural phenomenon. Once used a century ago as a sanatorium to house children dying of tuberculosis, the school’s past residents are slowly coming back to life and with one thing on their mind. They want someone to play with, someone to join them. Forever.

Even when dead, some children get whatever they want.

And they want Perry.

Reading Order

Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror #1)

Red Fox (Experiment in Terror #2)

The Benson (Experiment in Terror #2.5)

Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror #3)

Lying Season (Experiment in Terror #4)

On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror #5)

Old Blood (Experiment in Terror #5.5)

The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror #5.7)

Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror #6)

And With Madness Comes the Light (Experiment in Terror #6.5)

Come Alive (Experiment in Terror #7)

Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror #8)

Dust to Dust (Experiment in Terror #9) – To Come May 2014

Review

In a way, this was a very sad read for me ----- this is because “Ashes to Ashes” is the next to last book of the EIT series.  Over the years, I have grown to absolutely LOVE Dex and Perry and it will be a very sad day when we must say good-bye to them.  We have been through so much with these two that I feel they are a part of my heart and life.  It is very seldom that I connect so deeply with characters in a book but Karina has achieved this with her series EIT!

I think this may be that it wasn’t an instant love affair with these two – they had to go through so many obstacles and tragedies in order to find love at the end of the tunnel.  They aren’t a “Hollywood” couple but they are real – they could be me or you – Perry deals with self-esteem problems because of her weight and Dex deals with the denial of his powers while medicating himself.  This couple finally deserves the HEA that they start to experience in this book, but with any normal relationship they must struggle to continue to achieve it.

“You…make me feel sane in this crazy world. You give me hope. You give me life. When I’m with you…I can’t even believe I’m with you. It’s like that every morning. Like I’m dreaming, but I’m not."

Karina Halle is one of my top authors and her writing shows this – The way that she uses descriptive terms enable me to live through Dex and Perry and see EXACTLY what they are seeing.  The reader will not have to struggle to picture the scene Karina is writing about – her mastery of words and descriptions are magnificent.  I think this is another reason why it’s possible to connect with these stories so easily.

I beg you Karina – please don’t stop here – I don’t know what I will do without Perry and Dex ------ or maybe????  Could it be that there may be a new series starting up with Ada?  Hint – Hint…..*wink wink   Maybe?

Re-Cap

Perry and Dex have been living together for 2 months now and life couldn’t be better for them.  We start the book out with Perry getting a surprise for Dex to show how much she loves him.  Things are really taking off for the couple now!

They have a new assignment back in Oregon (Perry’s hometown) not too far from Uncle Al.  This time they will be investigating a school for artistic children which in the past was a sanitarium for children dying of TB.  A new teacher and a student are experiencing very strange hauntings in the names of Shawna, Elliot and the beast.

“I love the fuck out of you”

Before our team investigates, Perry is visited by her Pippa who warns her that there are bad things [spoiler] possibly death [/spoiler]  coming in the near future and Perry must protect herself and Dex. [spoiler] The only clues Pippa can give Perry is that it deals with the BrooklynBridge and a person who is trusted but it will be her end.

[/spoiler]

The team, Perry, Dex and Rebecca, visit with Uncle Al and it seems that Dex has something on his mind which is making him nervous and Uncle Al furious.  Perry gets the whole lecture about moving in with Dex so quickly, he is not good enough for her, she is still so mental unstable….blah blah blah.  Yeah and if that’s not enough they also get that a hundred fold at Perry’s parent’s house when they visit after the investigation.

So it’s finally off to the school and the hauntings start up almost immediately upon entering the building.  “Stay on the first floor” is the warning they get, but do you think our team is going to abide by the rules?  HELL NO!  The first chance they get…it’s off to the second floor and they are met with unbelievable sights.  I’m not going to go into detail about the investigation because I could never do the story justice in my own words.  I will mention this though….Perry learns something about Dex which may just be her breaking point with the relationship or may draw them closer together.  There are a few other surprises waiting around the corner if you decide to read this!!

The ending?  Hmmmm? We are left with some real funky happenings which open up the final book in this series.  Will Pippa’s premonitions come true?  What is in store for Dex and Perry?  Will they get their HEA?  What is going to happen with EIT?

Wrap-Up

If you haven’t read this series – I urge you to give it a try!  Even if you aren’t a Paranormal fan, this just isn’t about ghosts, this is a rocky road love affair with a twist.

Take Ghost Hunters and twist in a bit of Ghost Whisperer and viola!! You have Experiment in Terror <3