Crashing Back Down (Crashing #1) - Kristen Hope Mazzola

Crashing Back Down - Kristen Hope Mazzola

Book – Crashing Back Down (Crashing #1)

Author – Kristen Hope Mazzola

Publication Date – November 4, 2013

Type – Part of Series

Genre - Romance

Rating - 4 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis

A portion of all royalties from Crashing Back Down are donated by the author to The Marcie Mazzola Foundation.

Mags McManus has just become a war widow in her mid-twenties. Her late husband, Randy, left for the Army right after their wedding. Instead of celebrating his homecoming and living in marital bliss with her soulmate, Mags finds herself living in constant agony. Dealing with the guilt of still living without Randy, are Randy's best friends and parents.

Rising from the ashes of this tragedy, Mags starts to learn how to love and trust again, finally being able to find happiness. But sometimes things really are too good to be true and again Mags learns how cruel the world can be as she crashes back down.

This is the author's debut novel!

**18+ for sexual situations, cursing, and adult content.***

Review

I am on the fence with my rating for “Crashing Back Down”.  In the beginning, I found myself rolling my eyes on how much this story revolved around alcohol and crying. I trudged on and continually the characters were either drowning in shots or sobbing uncontrollably. Everyone cried continually – no one was saved in this book from tears cascading down their cheeks.

Another irritating thing I found about this book is how quick a fight started and then ended – we didn’t experience any angst or build-up/let-down.  I understand that the whole book revolves around the angst of Mags dealing with her husband’s death and the guilt of forming a new relationship, but I think the fight scenes along with the outcome were a bit rushed.

Take away the alcohol, crying, lack of depth and this book could have been rated an outstanding “5” in my book.  I loved the storyline and by the time I got to the last 25% of the book – I was hooked and in love with Walker.

After reading the synopsis on the book and the first 50% of the book, I swore up and down that the “crashing” part was going to revolve around <spoiler>Walker having to go back to the war</spoiler>.

The cliffhanger?  Wow – just freakin’ Wow.....I was floored, I was dumbfounded, I was surprised, I was devastated, I wanted more.....The way the author put the spin on the ending shows the talent she is capable of writing.  And for that fact alone – I can’t wait to read the next book to see how the drama unfolds.

Re-Cap

Mags is dealing with the pain from losing her husband during the war.  Her network of friends from College along with her husband’s parents play a major role in her recovery from depression.

She finally makes the choice to try and start living life again – but what are these feelings she is suddenly having for Walker?  It never seemed during all this time as friends, and being her husband’s best friend, that he looked at Mags with love and lust in those eyes.  Why the sudden change?

We experience Walker and Mags try and build a relationship based on friendship and later on love while dealing with the guilt of living life without their “other-half”.  When it finally looks like others accept the relationship and most importantly they both love and accept each other.....things take a turn for the worse.

I know the most important question you are asking yourself right now is......what the fuck happened at the end?

Hmmm....let me give you some of my scenarios I guessed at-----Walker gets stationed overseas-----Randy really didn’t die and returns------Walker comes clean and admits the only reason he wants a future with her is due to a promise he made Randy----Walker gets into an accident and is teetering on the edge of death just after professing his love for Mags.

Did I guess right?  Well, that’s up to you read the book and find out!

Wrap Up

If you can get past the drinking and crying.... this is such a powerful read.  Live through a young war widow’s grief and fight to enjoy life again.

For More Reviews, Free E-Books and Giveaways - Stop on Over