Alive - Megan D. Martin

Alive: The Crave (Volume 1) - Megan D. Martin

Book – Alive (Crave #1)

Author – Megan D. Martin

Publication Date – November 14, 2013

Type – No Cliffhanger Series (Kinda)

Genre – Romance/Horror/Dystopian

Rating – 4 ½ out of 5 Stars

ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

Flesh-eating zombies, dirty sex, and a shattered past…

What’s more dangerous—the man who broke her heart or those trying to eat it?

Fighting to survive, Eve finds herself alone in the world after the Crave—the only parallel of her former life. On the hunt for her sister, she runs into Gage—the first and only boy to have her heart and break it. It’s been four years and he isn’t a boy anymore, nor is he the same person he used to be. Against her better judgment, Eve agrees to stay with him when he divulges information on a safe haven near the small town they grew up in—but that doesn’t mean she has to like it…

Returning home elicits a myriad of emotions that both Eve and Gage thought they had buried. The past and present collide and they are forced to the face bitter deceits that ruined them in the before and threaten to destroy them now…

Review

Wow….this is a book I wouldn’t and I couldn’t put down.  Last night I was about 70% into it as I watched the snow falling out my window.  I thought to myself and prayed “Please please let the snow be so bad that I don’t have to go to work tomorrow.”  I wished and crossed my fingers and toes….and settled down in my bed to go sleep……WAIT…..hold the phone…..Fuck NO…..I didn’t sleep – I turned my phone right back on and finished this fucker!  Yeah, I mighta stayed up till 1:00am just to find out what happens with Eve and Gage….but hell yeah….I DIDN’T have to go to work today!

This book grabbed me from the minute I picked it up.  I travelled right alongside of Eve and Gage from the moment they realized who each other were till the minute they got to Eden.  I grew frustrated at Gage when Eve would recant her past and the torment she went through ---- I sympathized with Gage and the patience he tried to have with Eve when she continually tried to gut him….Yeah I mean that literally!

My heart broke for Eve and the past she had to deal with and there were a few times I wanted to take her Craftsman and stab Gage right in the “YA-HOO” ---- poor Eve who suffered at the hands of her parents, her sister, her classmates and the boy she loved.  I cheered for the strength this girl grown into and cried for the lost innocent soul it destroyed.

I think maybe the best aspect of this story is the message hidden behind the words (yeah I know…how do you get a life message from a book about zombies?)  Listen well, my little grasshopper…..Eve growing up was the “sinful one” while Olive was the cherished and perfect child….but after the Crave….you get to see who they really are compared to how they were raised.  Want to know why?  Nope….sorry – you have to read to find out.

Re-Cap

We open the story with Eve surrounded by “jenks” and she is about to give up and just let them have her.  She is tired of searching for her sister, Olive and tired of running from the zombies.  Just as she is about to be served for dinner…a stranger comes to her rescue – she might have been grateful if the “so called” stranger wasn’t a blast from her past…and not in a good way.

Gage realizes that Eve isn’t the innocent shy schoolgirl that she used to be and Eve just wants to carve Gage up.  Makes great conversation during their travels and you honestly don’t think they are going to kiss and make up during this story?  N to the O to the NO!!

Eve promises to Gage that she will stick by him until they reach Eden (a safe place for the Non-Jenks to live.  There are just too many jenk battles, too many hot sexy scenes, too many hurtful words shared in order to share everything with you while the two of them make their way to Eden.

We also get a few chapters dedicated for Olive and the adventure she is on with a man who uses his women as sex toys and mules in exchange for protection against the jenks!

Wrap Up

This book was surprisingly entertaining and I was able to relate to the characters and was wishing I could be fighting right alongside them!

Definitely take the time out to read this book even if you don’t like Dystopian books…this is more of a romance mixed with a few zombies…

About the Author

Megan D. Martin is a multi-published author, mother, student and editor. In her spare time she enjoys decorating her house with strange things that do not match, playing her old school Nintendo Entertainment System, and buying fish for her many fish tanks.

Author Links