This Regret by Victoria Ashley

This Regret - Victoria Ashley

Book – This Regret

Author – Victoria Ashley

Publication Date – February 28, 2014

Type – Stand Alone?? Or not?

Genre – Romance, New Adult

Rating – 4 3/4 out of 5 Stars

Book provided by Author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

Phoenix has been stumbling through life since her brother Adric's tragic death but after eight years, she is finally piecing what remains together. She has a nice apartment, a steady job and not to mention a fresh new 'relationship' with her childhood friend, Kade Haze. He's the sexy boy next door she never even dreamed of falling for, but can’t seem to stop the pull she feels toward him.

Just when life began to make sense again and a feeling of normalcy was on the horizon, Phoenix's carefully constructed walls come crashing down.

When walking into the tattoo shop one day, the last thing she’s expecting to see is Kellan Haze, Adric’s best friend no one has seen or heard from since the day they found her brother’s body. He’s nothing as she remembers him as a child, with his wild messy hair, tattoos that cover most of his undeniably sexy body and eyes so intense it makes her legs quiver with one look. The one thing even she can’t deny is the instant rush she feels just by being in his presence.

But how can you choose between love and lust when one of these hold a dark secret, one that can crush your world to pieces and leave you gasping for air. Who can you trust when your mind is pulling you in two different directions and your heart has to choose for you?

The Haze brothers are sexy, daring and possibly . . . dangerous.

This Regret is a story of love, lust, betrayal and danger with an ending that no one saw coming.

Review

Ms. Ashley just keeps getting better and better with her story telling.  From the moment I picked up this book to read – it was instant attraction.  I don’t know if it had to do with the suffering our heroine was going through or the sexy tattooed, pierced hero.

This story deals with heartbreak and a future of healing – when all else feels that our heroine is just existing without feeling – holding her emotions in while always hoping for the past to finally “right” itself – she gets the biggest surprise of her life.  It’s not a surprise of total exuberance, but one of hurt feelings and so many questions left unanswered.

This book was raw…it invoked such raw feelings that I couldn’t get enough it.  Every single fucking emotion in me was tested in this book – I laughed, I cried, I swooned, I got angry and then frightened.  What a fantastic and superb writer Ms. Ashley is to bring out so many of my emotions – I just can’t get enough praise to her work.

I first met Ms. Ashley when she contacted our blog to review her first book “Wake Up Call” – Another book that engrossed me from the first to the last page.  For a debut novel, it was a success in my book…..but this one? Holy freakin Hell….this book way surpasses her first!  When she contacted me again and asked me to read it --- I jumped on that shit – knowing the type of story teller she is….and I wasn’t denied another journey in the life of a messed up heroine.

Ms. Ashley….I just have to tell you, that if you continue to write stories like this….it will be no time until you hit the best seller list!

Ohhh…you are probably wondering why I took a ¼ star off?  It’s kinda lame but I got in trouble at work for crying at my desk.  Yeah, I suck!

Re-Cap

Beware of the Prologue!

I can’t write much about the story since the book hasn’t been released yet but I’ll give you a bit of a teaser….Phoenix is our heroine and is in a bad place – this is a place she has been in for the past 8 years ever since her brother died and his best friend took off without a word on the same night.

She goes through her day to day functions not really connecting with much emotionally – for some strange reason Kade (Kellan’s brother and her best friend) is starting to put the moves on Phoenix and she wonders what it would be like to start up a “just for fun” relationship with him.

He takes her for a tattoo one day and leaves to run an errand – once in the shop she is met with the most gorgeous man she has ever seen but something is not right with him….he reminds her of someone but it couldn’t be…..or can it?

Follow Phoenix, Kellan and Kade along with their friends and some of their enemies in a story of suspense, mystery, second chances and redemption.

Wrap-Up

I can’t promote this book enough – it had everything I ever wanted in a story all strategically wrapped in a whirlwind of a book!

Just as I thought it was pretty depressing ending the story where it did….and it would have been really cool to get further stories from some of the other characters in the book….I was made partial to some very exciting news!