Forgive Us Our Trespasses by ML Steinbrunn

Publication Date – March 2014

Type – Stand Alone

Genre – Romance, New Adult

Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy given by Author in exchange for an honest review

Synopsis

How long would you wait to be with the one that you love? How much of yourself would you hide in order to keep them?

Brooks knows the moment he meets Vivian that he will do whatever it takes to protect her, even if it means leaving her. Running from his past, he spends the next decade trying to forget the shattered heart that he left behind.

Is there any betrayal worth the cost? Are there some sins that cannot be forgiven?

After a lifetime of rebuilding the walls guarding her heart, Vivian confronts the harsh reality that some fortresses are not meant to stand. Winding through a gray fog of disappointment and deceit, she must conquer her deepest fears to accept the love she believes she is too unworthy to have.

As the paths of these two battered hearts cross once more, together they seek redemption for their sins. However, when the secrets of their pasts come knocking on their door, forgiveness and love will be tested, and they will be forced to answer the question: “When the lies run out, will the truth finally set you free?”

Forgive Us Our Trespasses is an adult contemporary novel and is not intended for younger readers due to mature content.

Review

This was a good read and I found myself sniffling a few times…..but the story was kinda predictable.  Now that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it because I fell in love with Will and Brooks….well – Brooks I did, then I didn’t, then I did, then I didn’t….you get the jist of it.

I liked how this book was first told while the characters were in college up to the climatic event between Vivian and Brooks – then we start out 10 years later and pick up with Vivian’s life.

The author did a great job of pulling the reader in to experience the ups and downs of each character.  Even the secondary characters add so much seasoning to the book and I’m hoping that each one of them may get their own story!

Re-Cap

When Vivian was 5 years old, her father was murdered and she has a very hard time building relationships and trusting others.  That is until she meets Brooks….well not so much at first – she believes him to be a womanizing man-whore but is intrigued nonetheless.  Brooks sees something special in Vivian and vows to change his ways in order to settle down and get the girl.

Just as Viv and Brooks are in the happiest times of their lives and their relationship is going strong, Brooks finds out a secret that will destroy Viv’s feelings towards him.  He breaks her heart thinking this will be the only way to keep her safe.

When we meet Viv again it’s 10 years later and the story begins…..

Wrap-Up

This was such a sweet and heart wrenching story – I found myself crying – then laughing – then screaming.  If you want to exercise your emotions, then this is definitely a story for you.