The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu

Publication Date – June 3, 2014

Type – Stand Alone

Genre – Young Adult

Rating – 4 ½ out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

Everyone has a lot to say about Alice Franklin, and it’s stopped mattering whether it’s true. The rumors started at a party when Alice supposedly had sex with two guys in one night. When school starts everyone almost forgets about Alice until one of those guys, super-popular Brandon, dies in a car wreck that was allegedly all Alice’s fault. Now the only friend she has is a boy who may be the only other person who knows the truth, but is too afraid to admit it. Told from the perspectives of popular girl Elaine, football star Josh, former outcast Kelsie, and shy genius Kurt, we see how everyone has a motive to bring – and keep – Alice down.

Review

Epic…describes this book in one word.  Even though I had the story pegged from the beginning and nothing about really surprised me at all….I still loved this book!

I think a lot of that had to do with how the author had each character give their rendition of events unfolding around them and around Alice.  I think another reason why I loved this book so much had to do with the content – this is so close to the truth with what is happening with teenagers – in the past, present and future. No matter how heavily we instill in our children the dangers of gossip, lies and teasing – whether the children are on the outside following along with the abusers or the one’s being abused, it’s never enough to when that shit may happen to them.

This book takes an incident and it starts as a lie and then as a snowball rolls down a mountain…as the ball continues to grow – so does the gossip, lies and exaggerations truly smothering the truth.  People get hurt while no one tries to help.  How hard it would be to be in that situation – a fellow friend being bullied and shunned – and you know everything being said about her is a lie, but you still don’t step forward to support her – instead you join in with the gossip just to be part of the “in” crowd.

This book definitely pulled on my heart strings and I give the heroine, Alice so many kudos for continuing to trudge ahead without giving up.  I also fell in love with Kurt – the only person to befriend Alice and bring some sanity into her world.

So many life lessons tied up in a little neat book – so many hurtful truths about our younger generation – lessons we normally would just pretend don’t exist.  Pick up this book and read about how teenagers and adults alike can follow each other down a road of sin and condemnation.

Recap

This story is told from multiple POV’s and all revolves around Alice – how she ‘supposedly’ had sex with two guys at a party.  It may start out this way but then escalates into her being the sole cause of death of Brandon who is the ‘star’ of the town.  With all this gossip and whispers, it seems that Alice can’t go anywhere or do anything without the town condemning her for their precious Brandon’s death.

Gossip grows and more lies are compounded – dealing with abortion, sex, promiscuity.  Bathroom stalls are breeding grounds for obscene messages all circling around Alice.  Her best friend abandoned her and spread more nasty lies about Alice – just pushing Alice more and more into her shell.

Kurt, the weirdo, the insane genius is the only one with enough courage to talk to Alice and he offers her help with Algebra hoping to spend time with the girl he has been crushing on for years.  Their friendship builds over time and for once Alice feels that life isn’t so bad after all.  That is until she finds there may ulterior motives behind Kurt’s friendship.