Melted & Shattered (L&J #2) by Emily Eck

Melted & Shattered (L & J 3) - Emily Eck

Book – Melted & Shattered (L & J #2)

Author – Emily Eck

Publication Date – April 21, 2014

Type – Part of Series

Genre – Romance

Rating – 4 ½ out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy provided by Author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

Elle was never broken.
She wasn't shattered.
And she sure as hell never needed to be saved.
That is,
until she found out what the aftermath of love was capable of causing.

Doing her best to stay afloat amidst the sh!t storm that has become her life, Elle is hanging on by a thread. Between worrying about Fernie’s precarious future, an incident with a Shemar Moore look-alike gone terribly wrong, and an inability to let go of her feelings for J, Elle just can’t seem to get her head straight.

Deciding a change of atmosphere is what she needs, Elle heads to Mexico to study abroad for a semester.

She has no idea that she is walking into an even worse storm.

One that involves a pissed off MC President, a ruthless drug cartel, and a man willing to die to have her light.

Review

Damn – this chick does it again – now please, I’m not being bias here cause we talk almost every day.  I’m wondering if I would even talk to Emily if she couldn’t write?

I just have to say that I am addicted to Elle and J….fuck I’m addicted to all the characters in this story – it’s the grittiness that Emily writes with is what draws me in and hooks me – I first read this book as a proofreader so I don’t think I was able to get the whole “touchy feely” thing out of it – so I went back and read it again and fuck – I can only say that the relationship between Elle and J is nothing to mess around with.

Now, this one deals more with Elle’s world falling apart after that horrible cliffhanger Emily left us in Steel & Ice than it does with actual scenes between Elle and J – but what this book has is Elle – Elle front and center dealing with her heartbreak, her pain, her suffering and the shatters of her life.  She is left picking up the pieces and going to war in her mind over the feelings she has for J.

Not only does she have to deal with that but there is also trouble brewing with her “kids” – this is where Elle’s character develops and grows into a responsible and loving motherly figure.  J constantly talks about Elle’s “light” and for once – the reader can see and experience exactly what J does.

I think the major contribution Emily gives to this series is her character development of J and Elle – I know for a fact that this story just pops out in her head and wasn’t a complete thought when she started.  So by knowing this, my hats off to you Emily for continuing to develop these characters effortlessly through each book in the series.

Take Elle for instance – in the beginning she can be compared to a robot – no feelings – selfish – all about herself.  She fucks guys and leaves them – doesn’t want a relationship – only does friendship and even there she won’t get too close to anyone except her 2 friends – Chris and Aaron.

Then she starts volunteering at the center and spends more and more time with the kids and somehow these kids bring out the emotions in her – her protectiveness, her giving, her happiness, her sadness – Elle FEELS again – even though she keeps telling herself that she is a shitty role model for these kids.  Elle learns about putting others first before herself – she learns about sacrifice.

When she meets J – it may have started out as pure lust – but something is there – something pulling at her heart like it never did before and Elle learns to open up and trust again.  She learns to love and by the end of Book #1 – she learns about pain.  Now this book deals with all the emotions which are now open and lay bleeding out on a plate for all to see.  Elle has to make the right choices in order to continue to survive and decide whether she has a future with J.

Recap

We pick up right after the major cliffhanger from Steel & Ice – Elle is in the hospital and is recovering – J is fighting to see her but Elle wants nothing to do with him.  She is devastated at what she learned about him.  This devastation continues and her life starts taking a turn for the worse – depression sets in and the only thing keeping her head above water is her “kids” from the center.

She is on a mission to try and make things right with Fernie – she learns about the love Fernie and Gen share even as teenagers and the pain and suffering these two are dealing with.

Elle also has to deal with Larry and his constant crushing on her – and add in Jose in that mix.  Elle starts to learn just how loved she is and how many people are there to help put the pieces back together.

Then we have J who wants to put everything back together and get out of the mess he is in – so him and Elle can have a future together – he will DO ANYTHING to keep her safe and make her “his”!

Elle goes on a wild magic carpet ride in this book full with the cartel and bad ass bikers!

The quote which really sums up this series is “I’ll love you till the sun ceases to shine.”

Oh….and on a side note here….if you do decide to give this series a shot…don’t forget to include the ½ series also ---- these are told from J’s POV and definitely add more story to the plot!!!  Damn I love Emily!