The Beautiful Dead by Daryl Banner

The Beautiful Dead - Daryl Banner

Book – The Beautiful Dead

Author – Daryl Banner

Publication Date – July 29, 2013

Type – Stand Alone (Maybe a 2nd book?)

Genre – Zombies (Undead)

Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy provided by Author (Blog Tour) in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

She’s dead.

In fact, the whole world’s dead. Every single person, apparently. Unburied and reimagined into a beautiful living-dead woman called Winter, she is doomed to spend the rest of eternity in a quaint, peaceful city with no hunger, no sickness and no bills to pay. Her Second Life is perfect in every way possible.

So why is she so bent on destroying it all?

After angering the mayor, befriending rebel headless teenagers and igniting romance with a dark and brooding neighbor, she finds herself wrestling madly with a First Life she cannot remember and this Second Life she cannot accept. Not to mention the maniacal army of rotting corpses who want her dead. Again.

But none of that matters in comparison to an even worse problem. There’s a guest in her house. A rude, good-looking man on the run ... a man with a heartbeat.

Review

Dahhhaaammm!!! I so loved this book!  Mr. Banner was able to put a new spin on the zombie revolution with this little gem of a story.  Not only are we dealing with Humans and Zombies (Deathless) but add to that mix a group of the Undead. The Undead are raised from the dead but they don’t eat brains – they are refined, they are beautiful and they have feelings.

Like I said earlier…one word to describe this book is ACTION….it was action packed and kept me turning the page over and over again to find out what was going to happen next.  I loved how Mr. Banner portrayed the main characters and added humor into what is labeled as “Horror”.  The characters jumped out at me and drug me right into the center of their adventure.

I found my heart racing so many times during this story and was able to guess some of the twists and turns that Mr. Banner snuck in there…but overall I was fascinated with this story.  If you read and you start to read between the lines….(smack me if I’m wrong) but I think Mr. Banner just jumped into the “satire/irony” ring to stir up the pot a bit.  Hmmmm??? Why don’t you give it a shot and see if you can pick up the message I got out of this little gem!  Oh…OK….you twisted my arm for a hint ---- society and their hypocrites.  Am I so off my fucking rocker, Mr. Banner?  You can tell me that I lost my mind and read too deep or maybe it was the acid I dropped before reading?

Recap

You know…I’m not even going to recap this story because I wouldn’t be able to do it justice.  Just know if you strip away the “Undead” and the “Deathless” – you have a great story of self-discovery, loyalty, love and friendship.  Oh and did I mention action and breathlessness?

Wrap-Up

This will be added to my list of ‘top reads’ for 2014 – and Mr. Banner….you better give us a continuation of this one!!