Life After Taylah by Bella Jewel

Publication Date – May 26, 2014

Type – Stand Alone

Genre – Romance/New Adult

Rating – 3 ¾ Stars

Complimentary Copy provided by Author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

My mother's name is Taylah, and once, a very long time ago, she was my best friend - she was everything I wanted to be.

Until the night she disappeared.

Ten years on and my life, my families lives and the world around us has never been the same again.
How can it be when you are left not knowing?

No leads. No connections. Nothing. Just pure emptiness.

My dancing is the only way I can separate myself from the pain that lies in my home, in my father's eyes and in my brother's spirit. They need me and I'll fight with everything I am to be there for them, but who will be there for me?

Then I meet Nate.

Champion Motocross racer and everything my father doesn't want for me. He's forbidden, he's beautiful, and he's carrying a bundle of his own secrets.

When I step into his world, there is no turning back.

He will consume me.

He will teach me how to breathe again.

He will put a tiny piece of my broken heart, back together.

Review

First I have to say that when I see the name ‘Bella Jewel’, I automatically gravitate to the book.  This one ahhh….so many conflicting emotions with this story.  I don’t know if it’s the cheating…or the “I’ll be the other woman” that had me pissed off half the time.  Then to find out conflicting issues with Avery’s mom, Taylah and the reason for her disappearance, I felt like I was in a world of the “anti-Scarlet Letter”.

So…that’s my teeter to….now my teeter fro…..It was a beautiful love story and part of me understood Avery’s need to be with Nick no matter what…when you feel a love that strong, you are willing to do just about anything to continue that feeling.  That was the beautiful part…but in real life…it rarely ever ends pretty.

I’m teetering to again…..Lena and Jacob…..Lena is Nick’s wife and Jacob is Avery’s fiancée (or whatever).  If you want to talk about ‘bad guys’ – these two take the cake.  I understand the need to make these two look bad in order to sugar coat the infidelity between Nick and Avery but this was a bit extreme – any sane person who had to deal with these two knuckleheads would have said “sayonara” eons ago.  So to bring me to the conclusion of this….the extreme distaste of Lena and Jacob make Nick and Avery look like fools for being with people who undoubtedly are the scum of the earth.

Let’s teeter a bit to the fro…..I understand the need of Nick to stick by his wife because of their daughter and I commend him for that…especially when she drops another bomb on him.  He believes in his vows and takes them serious…but not as serious as to step off with Avery.

I’m sticking to the fro here…..Avery and her father….what a dick.  I felt for Avery throughout this whole story….between her brother, her father, the unknown mother and a taboo love – I think I would have jumped off the first available cliff.  But not our girl…she sticks to it – driving herself batty the whole time by keeping everyone happy – what? What was that?  Yeah…EVERYONE else happy – except herself.  Self-destruction time!

Wow…another teeter to the fro – overall this was another enjoyable read from Bella and I will continue to click her new works with each one that is released.  It was hard to read about infidelity because of personal experiences but I got through it and am all the more wiser because of it.