Word Play by Amalie Silver

Publication Date – July 2014

Type – Stand Alone

Genre – Romance/Humor

Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy provided by Author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis

Smut sells.

Michael Rourke learned this the hard way.

Struggling to make ends meet as a mystery writer, he sold his soul - and his pride - as he pedaled sex and lust writing under the pen name Christoph Strong.

No one knew he was the one behind the steamy stories on the bestsellers lists. And he planned to keep it that way.

Until he met her.

Monica Singer, an infamous blogger, is keen to discover the truth of his secret identity.

During a chance meeting at a book convention, Michael and Monica form an instant connection. And soon, an industry rivalry becomes something else entirely.

But as Michael starts to let his guard down, he doesn’t realize that the person he's learning to trust may be hiding secrets of her own.

Secrets that could ultimately destroy everything.

**Expected release date: Summer of 2014

Review

So enough ribbing Amalie….I promised you a review and by god…I will give you a review!  Why have I waited so long to write this?  Honest to fuck…I have no clue cause I do have so much to say about this little diamond! (yup, not a gem…but a big ole diamond)

When Ms. Silver first came to me and asked me to review this book, just like I always do – I jump right on it since she is one of my favorite authors and friends! (smushy feelings) ---- she warned me, I mean she was worried how I would react to the book and the satire about our community.  She also thought it might cause some controversy and along the way pick up some haters. But after reading the book and laughing at myself and others, I honestly didn’t think she had anything to worry about.  So I expressed to her that she really needed to share this – just a review by me wasn’t enough to get the word out – I wanted to do something SPECIAL for her.  She was such a sweetie to let Wendy and I use this book as a guinea pig in our experiment with a focus group concentrating on giving the author some honest feedback, have fun with games, and chat it up with old friends and new.  And so that is how GReat Buddy Read Promos was born.  A very special thanks to my friend and lover ----- *ahem sorry I lost myself for a minute but God’s honest truth…she did offer some sexual favors. ♥

First I want to say that this is a top read of 2014 for me.  There are just too too too many bits of humor tucked in here to share them all with you ----- but I will be honest and I have to compare this to a Tara Sivec’s knee slapping type of humor but add into that a satire about us…yes, I did say US.

Ms. Silver delivers some tongue in cheek humor about the writing community…not just authors, but reviewers, bloggers, trolls, blog tour coordinators (I laughed my ass off on that one – see I can laugh at myself), book signings etc. In sense, Ms. Silver delivers a story within a story – we have the main story of our main characters while we get blog posts which consist of interviewing the reading/writing community from Monica’s Musings.

In our character list we have Betty Black (the erotica writer), Christoph Strong (male erotica writer) – both of these using pen names – add into that Monica (Monica’s Musings), Jeffrey (token gay friend), Claire (PNR author) and you have the perfect ingredients for slapstick humor, steamy sex, heavy flirting, angst, and romance.

What can I say about this book?  I have so much I want to share but I seem to have hit a mental block because all I can think of is summer sausage, bathroom sex, scrabble, Nicholas Sparks and M&M’s.  Yeah, you have to read this book to get an answer to those fantasies swirling around my brain! Oh and the sex?  Ah yeah…that was honest (best scene in the bathroom stall) but it was the build up to the sex that made this story….flirting while playing scrabble – the foreplay and build up to the act was the icing on the cake.

So give this a chance….see if you can figure out the mystery of who everyone is…cause I haven’t seen one person completely guess the little twist Ms. Silver adds to this story!

Wrap-Up

Fast funny read….sucks you in to a world we all know and love!  Can you laugh at yourself?  Can you say, “Yeah, I know someone like that.”? Can you guess what summer sausages has to do with this story?  Seriously folks….I recommend this book to EVERYONE who loves a good laugh!