The Harvesting by Melanie Karsak

The Harvesting - Melanie Karsak

Book – The Harvesting (The Harvesting #1)

Author – Melanie Karsak

Publication Date – September 13, 2012

Type – Part of Series

Genre – Zombies, Post Apocalyptic

Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis

"The world, it seemed, had gone silent. It was something we knew but did not talk about. We were alone."

While Layla Petrovich returns home to rural Hamletville after a desperate call from her psychic grandmother, she never could have anticipated the horror of what Grandma Petrovich has foreseen. The residents of Hamletville will need Layla's cool head, fast blade and itchy trigger finger to survive the undead apocalypse that's upon them. But even that may not be enough. With mankind silenced, it soon becomes apparent that we were never alone. As the beings living on the fringe seek power, Layla must find a way to protect the ones she loves or all humanity may be lost.

It's all fun and games until someone ends up undead!

Review

Perfect Post Apocalyptic book about zombies….but wait…..what was that??  There is so much more to this book…no we just don’t have zombies as the only “undead” out there…there is more hiding in the shadows – all coming out now that the end of the world has happened.

I always know when an author has the exceptional ability to write a good story. I can read the words but my mind doesn’t even have to try to process the meaning because as I read each sentence a movie unfolds in my head and my imagination isn’t something I have to force…instead it is a natural occurrence.

I fell in love with these characters and was definitely sad to see the end come….and with a cliffhanger….I can only hope that the author gets to work on the next one and doesn’t leave me hanging too long.

Re-Cap

Layla gets a call from her psychic grandmother demanding her to come home.  Home = a small town that Layla couldn’t wait to get away from when her boyfriend knocks up another girl and ends up marrying her.

Grandma knows what’s coming and prepares Layla with supplies and passing on her special abilities.  This gives Kayla the strength that she needs to lead her town and keep them safe against the “undead”.

It isn’t until a strange couple of men show up claiming they are safe on an island with other survivors and invites the small town to join them.  Kayla knows there is something wrong with these men but the townspeople won’t listen to her and Kayla goes in order to protect the ones she loves.

Once on the island though, these hosts aren’t zombies but they aren’t human either…Layla must figure out what they are, how to protect her people and how to get them away….