Next to You (Life #2) by Claudia Y. Burgoa

Next to You - Claudia Y. Burgoa

Book – Next to You (Life #2)

Author – Claudia Y. Burgoa

Publication Date – July 1, 2014

Type – Part of Series

Genre – Romance, New Adult

Rating – 4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis

Him

…I need time. Time to heal those wings and learn to use them…

Was part of the letter Rebecca Trent, Daniel Brightmore’s fiancée and best friend left when she ran away. The person he trusted the most for the past decade disappeared without giving him a second glance. She taught him how to love, believe in family and that everyone deserves a happily ever after. Now he’s struggling between wiping any traces of her from his life and drowning his sorrows away with the help of his new best friends—Don Julio and Jack Daniels.

Her

Rebecca’s past suffocated her to the point of not wanting to continue, her lifeline and the only reason to live began to withdraw from her. She wished it had been her imagination, but heard it loud and clear: “If not, there’s always a divorce, nothing is forever.” This time it became a leave or die situation. Something has got to change—she had to change. Packing light and leaving a letter behind, she takes a journey that can help her find herself through the shards of her painful childhood.

As letters, memories and stories are exchanged, two once inseparable people reconcile what’s left of their relationship. Beyond the confines of everything they built together, they’re left with two lonely people searching for what it means to be whole. Will they find meaning under their bruised psyches or will their pasts get the better of them?

Review

The first thing I must get out is that you definitely should read “Where Life Takes You” before this one. I was so confused in the beginning and I know I should have put this one on hold and read the first book in the series.  But, nooooo, not me – and after awhile, I was able to piece together the first story….and that’s the reason why Ms. Burgoa is so amazing….She included the major aspects of #1 but scattered them throughout the story instead of bundling everything in the very beginning.  The recollection of events are so well done that you don’t even know that the author is reminding you of what happened.

It didn’t take long until I was sucked into this story and found myself in a crazy mood of feeling the depression and sadness our characters were feeling.  There were times that I sympathized with each character and then other times I wanted to throttle them and their stubborn behavior.  At a point this got me so riled up that I was ready to quit because my frustration level for Becca reached an all time high…but instead I just walked away (well, I mean I actually did some work) and after some relaxing breathing techniques…I was able to continue.

This is when you know you are reading a story by a wonderful author, when they can get you to feel so man emotions that parallel with the main characters.

Passion….one word to describe this story…

Re-Cap

Becca needs to heal and figure out how to control her own life.  This leads her to leave Dan and get help for herself.  Dan in turn goes through all the stages of grief….he does some really stupid things like driving drunk, picking up women, setting fire to things etc.

During the time away, Becca continues to write letters to Dan confessing her love and explaining why she did the things, she had to do while begging Dan to open up to her about his past.

They start a journey toward each other but hit a bump in the road, which sends them both scampering away.  This still doesn’t get rid of the Dan’s all encompassing love for Becca ---- it’s frustrating, it’s painful to these two to fight in order to save their relationship.

Dan must learn not to always feel the need to control and “mother” Becca while Becca has to learn to trust and depend on Dan.  It turns out to be a hard battle for the two of them to give up the past and learn to live in the present and prepare for the future.

A touching beautiful love story while fighting so many demons from the past.